Monday, April 7, 2008

March 31

Equivalent resistance:
-the resistance seen by the source.
-equal to potential difference (V)/current (I)
Series Circuit:
-circuit with only one current path, with multiple drops in potential along the path
-example christmas tree lights
-current is the same in all components (I=I1=I2=I3=...)
-the sum of the potential drops is equal to the source potential (V=V1+V2+V3+...)
-the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of the resitances and its components (Req=R1+R2+R3+...)
-ammeters must be connected in a series circuit so all current flows through it
Parallel Circuit:
-circuit with only one drop in potential with multiple paths for the current
-total current is the current supplied by the source. equal to the sum of the brance currents (I=I1+I2+I3+...)
-source potential is equal to the potential drop across each branch (V=V1=V2=V3=...)
-the reciprocal of Req is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the resistance in each branch (1/Req=1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3+...)
-voltmeters must be connected in a parallel circuit

No comments: